Monday, September 10, 2012

Pregnant in Sweden: Foglossning, or SPD, strikes


OK, I am officially eating crow. Everyone and their mother complain about SPD in Sweden and I admit I had never ever heard about anyone having it in the US. �It is back pain� my Swedish friends would explain to me, �from loose joints. What do you call that in English?�

And I would smugly answer �Being pregnant�

Except that foglossning sucks. Or SPD. And I don�t even have back pain.

It started on Saturday with mild cramping. On Sunday I could barely walk. Going up and down my staircase knocked the wind out of me. I had so much pain in my abdomen and legs, I could not move. I waddle around like I am 36 weeks pregnant, although I am only 17 weeks and barely have a bump.

Ok. I get it now. This foglossning thing is the pits.

So I called the emergency hotline and was told to come in on Monday unless things escalated and I thought I was having a lot of contractions. I wasn�t. Everything was fine if I lay on my back and did not move a muscle.

On Monday I worked half a day from home on my sofa and then went in to the doctors. A quick ultrasound showed baby is doing fine. The doctor recommended I set up an appointment with my midwife and physiotherapist to work on some exercises. She diagnosed the SPD by pushing and pulling on different muscles. It hurt. A lot.

So apparently at only 17 weeks you can go from 0 � a lot of pain pretty quickly even if you never had foglossning in your previous pregnancy.

I am starting to feel better. I am planning on spending a lot of time on the sofa for the next few days hoping this dies down a bit. I cannot put weight on one leg, I need to keep my body balanced as much as possible, which makes me just look really awkward and have a hard time doing a lot of basic tasks.

I take back all of those foglossning jokes.

It is a thing. A really annoying thing. Only positive in this? I managed to meet my deductible which means I have no more co-payments until early next year. So there�s that.

No comments:

Post a Comment