Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Swedish baby names redux


Are you sick of me yet and my posting everyday?

As I am getting rounder and rounder, the problem has arisen, yet again, of choosing a baby name. Naming a baby is probably difficult for everyone, but when you have 2 languages in your home and 2 cultures, there are some added traps. Many of my favorite English names sound stupid in Swedish (I always imagined having boys with J names--- not anymore). So we are back writing long lists of boys and girls names we like and trying to figure out what we prefer best.

Surprisingly enough, names we had strong opinions on 3 years ago have changed. For example, I brought up my favorite, Kai � and didn�t get the same round of giggles I got last time round. So these things change.

For Little Swede we ended up with a list of boys and girls names that we took to the hospital and decided after the birth. This worked out well for us, but I realize that making such a big decision after 24 hours of labour could have gone against us. Not sure what we will do this time. 

Here are the top names in Sweden for 2011 � but I don�t know how I feel about them. I want a name that isn�t too youneek but also maybe not top ten. I prefer girls names that end with a consonant rather than an a, but they seem rare in Swedish. What do you like? Any suggestions? Maybe we should just go with Sven and Inga?

Boys:

William
Lucas
Oscar
Hugo
Elias
Oliver
Liam (wasn�t this a top WT (White trash) name just a few years ago? J)
Alexander
Victor
Emil (My favorite on this list, but I haven�t read the Astrid Lindgren book so unsure of cultural baggage)

Girls:
Alice
Maja
Elsa
Julia
Linnea
Ella
Ebba
Molly
Wilma
Emma

See what I mean about that consonant thing? The first name with a consonant is Astrid at number 30 � which I like as well�.

Decisions decisions�.

No comments:

Post a Comment