Tuesday, September 17, 2013

We need to talk about Kewin � Swedish name trends


So there is this strange naming trend in Sweden going on that is not so far off from some American style baby naming trends --- Not the Aiden, Caden, Jaden�s because, they are obviously so 2010, or even the Wyatt, Bennett, Lincolns of late, but the W kids.

In Sweden W and V are interchangeable and they even do not get separate sections in the phone book. So it makes sense that people would try to give their kids a uneeek name like Kewin.

But it does not stop there, some names I have seen this year include:

Wiktor
Oliwer

And the all American

Wincent � because how you go wrong naming your child something with Win in it.

But Kewin just makes me giggle. And I just see their future blonde Swedish rap name K-win  in the future.

I am not sure if these names are traditional, are inspired by Hemmakwell ads, or just a way to have your Swedish kids stand out in a crowd.

While the W names seem to be mainly male, I have seen a few people suggest Towa, in stead of Tova. But I have not seen any Nowa instead of Nova. Maybe that will be the wave of the future? 

No comments:

Post a Comment