Monday, October 21, 2013

Being Jewish in Sweden


The subject is a difficult and complex one, but I thought this article in The Local was well worth checking out.  One of The Local reporters spends an afternoon wearing a Kippah or Yamaka in Malm� and writes about the experience.

At the end of the day, most Jews in Sweden get by without a hitch because they �pass�. Most do not wear kippahs or a huge Star of David, they go about their day like everyone else. And they talk about religion as little as any average Swede.

Many blame the rise of anti-Semitism in Sweden on the growing Muslim population, but I can say I have heard many blonde haired, blue eyed Swedes say things I would interpret as Anti-Semitic, including things like �Stop being such a Jew� when someone wanted to buy a cigarette off of my friend and the price was to high, to �I don�t want to look at that f-n Jew!� when Seinfeld came on TV once.

So yeah, there is a problem here, and it is not just imported Middle East tensions.

What is the answer? No idea. But read thisarticle to get a sense of just how troubled we should all be about the situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment